Wer Mia Kang auf Instagram begegnet, wird erst einmal übermannt von ihrer Haut sein. Das 1988 geborene Topmodel mit britisch-südkoreanischen Wurzeln beherrscht Hasthag Skincare wie vermutlich kein anderes Model und It-Girl, das zwischen Hong Kong und New York lebt.
Interessanter aber an dem Model: ihre Geschichte. Denn in ihrer neu erschienenen Biographie “Knockout” erzählt sie von ihrer Zeit als Mobbingopfer im Kindesalter, einer stürmischen Karriere in der Modelindustrie und dem eisernen Weg zu einer kämpferischen Mua Thai-Sportlerin in Phuket.
In ihren Memoiren erkennt die junge Autorin wie ihre Mobbingerfahrung als vermeintlich Übergewichtige ihre Esstörung in der Modelindustrie beförderte. Auch den Drogenkonsum tabuisiert sie dabei keineswegs. Ihr Buch ist eine Aufklärung, gleichzeitig aber auch eine knallharte Abrechnung. Junge Menschen, die dem in der Gesellschaft vorherrschendem Magerwahn, aber auch einem Alkoholmissbrauchsfall in der Familie und weiteren unannehmbaren Schwierigkeiten ausgesetzt sind, werden Mia Kang’s Worte helfen können, sich selbst zu verstehen, und dabei auch mit der nötigen Distanz und gleichzeitigen Nähe der Erfahrung ein Stück mehr zu sich selbst finden zu können.
Triggerwarnung: Die beschriebenen Situationen könnten allerdings ungeahnte, alte Wunden aufreißen. Für Jugendliche, die gerade in einer Therapie oder Behandlung sind, ist das Buch nicht empfehlenswert. Für Erwachsene, die das Dahinter jener Schlagwörter, die so sehr das Leben junger Frauen dominieren, erfahren möchten, eine lesenswerte, und gleichzeitig auch unterhaltende Lektüre, bei der die Autorin mit Ehrlichkeit, Kritik und einer außergewöhnlichen Hingabe zum Schreiben hin offenkundig in die Welt einer Frau einführt, die es besser machen will. In aller Jugendnostalgie mit einer großen Portion Selbsterkenntnis für das eigene, jüngere Ich.
“Knockout” von Mia Kang, Erstveröffentlichung in Englisch, Oktober 2020, erschienen über Abrams Press, 21,99 Euro
After Cara Delevingne and Kendall Jenner as examples for manufactured, yet dominant beauty ideals, Kim Kardashian will be anaylized in terms of a criticism on established beauty ideals in media. Beautymogul, Social Media Star and Reality TV Protagonist Kim Kardashian has been the most important beauty icon in the past ten years. She embodies nearly every aspect of what is considered as beautiful by women all over the world. Eleven reasons, why. 1. Selfconfidence: Kim Kardashian is known as a woman being equipped with a good portion of self-esteem, which is likely of many desired. To be represented as a woman, media figur and even business woman, the brains of the gang (The Kardashians) knows how to impress and present herself wearing and not wearing certain clothes.
2. A „brilliant brunette“ (as one of the John Frieda hair series is called): Brunettes never had been this much of relevance since there is „Kim Kardashian“. Through Kim Kardashian, a change was driven. As a brunette myself, I can truely say, that Kim Kardashian did point the way for Brunettes. She once has fought wittingly or unwittingly against the over-representation of „blonde hair“ through media, movies and industries such as fashion and mostly beauty. The way of other brunette personalities in media has been smoothed. And as John Frieda claims, brunette is brilliant.
3. Body Positivity: It is no secret, that Kim Kardashian, who might have undergo one or two extra surgeries to get more of features considered as “beautiful” or “attractive” (commonly attributed to afro-american women), set new (beauty) standards. They might be not realistic, but they are relatable for nearly every women. And literally she can’t be peg as any size or body image (standard.) She has the big butt, some can relate to, the chest, even an uncommon skin color. In addition, her appearance combines and represents nearly facial and body features that had been discriminated for years. The Paper Magazine Story and the following discrimination of “steatopygia” had been one.
The pretty, stupid girl: Just as Paris Hilton has done, Kim plays a
role of the so called pretty stupid, no, pretty, but stupid, aka
„beauty without brains“, which is much liked to be seen. In a
society, where prejudices are established, they are welcomed
confirmed by a Kardashian. Media loved to see the stupid Blonde. It
might be an advantage a brunette being represented for once as well,
but likewise her stigmatilizing role has only managed to replace the
„blonde, stupid“ as known from movies. Her part has seldom
something interesting to tell as well.
All American girl: Kim Kardashian is a girl, who is born and has been
raised in Los Angeles. From her materialistic approach to life, over
her accent, sugarcoating and charming communication skills to her
pretentious behaviour: Kim Kardashian takes over what is known as
American to the outside world of the United States, and stands for
all things that are considered as “American stupid”. She
might play with this cliché, which is in circulation, that of
Californian (American) people, but her role seems to satisfy the
average consumer of her TV Show „Keeping Up with the Kardashians“,
or even Anti-American Americans and people from all over the world.
Her presence, and mostly her high outreach confirms presumptions and
an image most people already have of the average person of the United
6. „Multicultural“, „Multiethnic“, „Mixed-raced“. In Germany we would also say she has a „Migrationbackround“ as Kim Kardashian‘s having among others Armenian roots. And so Kim K as an American (brand) without an immigrant background would be like a cheeseburger without cheese. Kim Kardashian would no way have this intense amount of succes and representation if not hundreds and thousand female followers would not be familiar with her looks. Kim Kardashian being Armenian makes women from Morocco over Somalia to Iran, Lebanon and Kuwait able to identify with her looks. Her look meets related looks of a whole world region of femininity, who seemingly just waited to get represented through media.
From rags to riches. Not quite, but almost. A so called videotape is
not the most invested work in a career as one of the most known
person in this world. She might be the daughter of an advocate, but –
she came with less, gained and will stay or leave with – at least –
something, and 17 season’s of a reality show called “Keeping Up
With the Kardashians” at her back as a source.
“Please stop making stupid people famous”, is one of the
most quoted sentences, when it comes to Kim Kardashians status in
media, or let’s say when asked a bored audience of internet and
media. But still getting featured by mainstream media and probably
thousands of covers of worldwide tabloids, just show, that we still
live in a society, where news are produced that don’t have any
counterpart role of what really occurs in society.
Kim Kardashian has been an par example for aestheticians. Countless
women hurry on social media having nearly the same eyebrows, similar
rhinoplasty and lip injections. Plastic surgery still is a hot topic
when it comes to beauty and looks. The one or other surgery might
have been an inspiration to several different doctors from all over
the world drumping up business and learning experience. Since plastic
surgery is very common and hardly a taboo, woman might see the
Kardashians as a guideline to their vision of results.
10. An ever changing face. Kim Kardashian improved her looks and face from time to time so much, that she almost looks like another person. And so she knows how to satisfy an ideal of beauty that does not even exist. She embodies the sort of woman, who is blinded by an illusion of beauty that requires improvement all the time. And this sort of woman, who might snooze inside all of us and already is blinded and effected by media, tries to reach a sort of “being-beautiful” that does not exist, but nourishes the feeling and insecurity of not looking good enough. And as a woman she embodies the insecure woman that is still among us.
11. BFF: Kim Kardashian embodies the BFF (Best Friend Forever) every woman might wish for herself. She not only is popular, cool and pretty, just like the dominant girls from highschool, she is available as the best friend forever for everybody, who follows her. Her make up tricks are shared, outfit inspiration and so on. She manages to be the perfect best friend forever for everybody on social media. A great strategy to tie the relationship between social media star and follower/fan. At the same time the image of the “best friend forever”, especially desired and lived among women, is used by the head of the Kardashians, which empowers their role in the beauty industry and dominant, yet tone setting beauty ideal of today’s society.
This article shall not engage a personal attack.
photo source: https://de.mugler.com/, Screenshot taken on 30th of Dec. 2020